Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Happy Birthday, Natalie!

As I write this, there is a large lizard crawling across my wall. It's better than the cockroaches we've been finding in the bathrooms, but a bit of an adjustment!

Anyway, today was one of my favorite days in Jamaica thus far. Natalie, one of my fellow new volunteers, lucked out in that her 22nd birthday coincided with our day off this week. We used that opportunity to go to YS Falls, a beautiful series of waterfalls a little over an hour from Mandeville. The landscape and geography here is like nothing I have ever seen before, and YS Falls was just as amazing. There we spent the day ziplining over the falls, jumping in the water off of a rope swing, and hanging out in the pools at the bottom. It was definitely a needed day off, and we had a great time! I can't wait for people to come visit so that I can take them there again!

Kathryn was the photographer at YS Falls today, and I am yet to get her pictures of all of the action. The good news, however, is that I have gotten all of the pictures from the first three weeks in Jamaica, so I plan on posting a photo (or two or three) each day for the next couple of weeks! It's going to take some self control to keep from posting them all at once, as I am so excited to finally have them. Anyway, here are today's photos. These are the series of photos that was taken in an attempt to record Natalie's birthday night. I couldn't choose just one, since I thought they were all pretty funny.  This is the group for the coming year; from the left is Brendan, Kathryn, Me, Natalie, and Sean. (Special thanks to Tricia, the director of the program's assistant, for all of her pictures from this month, including these.) I might not have the YS Falls photos, but I do have these post-Red Stripe and Appleton ones which are just as valuable!





In case anyone was wondering, that is a Burger King crown that Natalie is wearing. As our volunteer stipends limit our out-to-dinner choices, Natalie made an economical birthday dinner decision (and tempted us to steal a crown for her).

No comments:

Post a Comment