Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Our Final Move

On Monday we made our final move of the orientation process. We had been staying at Bosco Boys' Home for the week, volunteering with the boys and giving the departing volunteers a chance to spend their last week together. At Bosco we were without internet, but now that we have moved into our apartment I will be able to get internet close by, so I will try to post more regularly.

Moving into the apartment means that most of the realities of the year have set in - cold showers, periodical water outages (including when I got in from my run yesterday morning), sleeping under a mosquito net, and eating on a tight budget. As much as it was nice to have those amenities at the other places that we stayed, I understand the importance of living under similar conditions as those that we serve.

To fill you in on my past week, volunteering at Bosco was one of my favorite parts of Jamaica so far.
We spent the days hanging out with the boys on the play field, reading with them in the library, and going to their soccer games. Steve, one of the volunteers from the past year, had been coaching their soccer team all year, and they have been participating in a tournament the past couple of weeks. Natalie, Kathryn, and I went to their last two games (which they won), and we will be going to another this afternoon.

 This was taken in the back of the pickup truck with the team on the way to their game. We fit all of the boys in the photo below, as well as us volunteers in the truck!


I'll try to post some photos of the apartment this week and to answer everyone's emails. It's been great to hear from everyone, and I miss you all!

A final note: Happy Anniversary, Mom and Dad! (This counts as your card :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment